It was only about a year ago when I picked up my first copy of the magazine Real Simple and while reading it, my quick browse soon turned into a full blown peruse. I like it. The mag is like Martha Stewart Living only more practical and not so hoity-toity when it comes to cooking, and gardening, and well... life in general.
Now now, I have the utmost respect for Martha and the empire she has built, I really do. I may be a big fan but nevertheless, it's still fun to post screenshots of her drinking an Olde English 40oz malt liquor and eating a Taco Bell burrito on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. You can watch the whole clip here.
So back to the story at hand...
- You didn’t read the recipe all the way through before you started cooking.
- You overcrowded the pan.
- You didn’t preheat the pan, and your fish fillets turned out soggy.
- You cooked pasta in a small pot and ended up with a pile of gummy noodles.
- You sautéed wet greens.
- You used dried herbs in a recipe in place of fresh ones, resulting in a heavily overseasoned dinner.
- You fried food in oil that wasn’t hot enough.
Here are the more uncommon mistakes that I would have added:
- You thought it was sugar, but it wasn't.
- The last person to wash the blender didn't screw the bottom on tight, and you just made margaritas.
- You forgot to rinse your beans and now you just poured wall paper paste on your salad.
- You got all wrapped up playing Cranium and scorched the Thanksgiving turkey.
- "Baking Powder, Baking Soda... what's the difference?"
- "Jalapeno... Habanero, what's the difference?"
- You completely forgot about the rice...
- You fell asleep on the couch and just made a briquette from a frozen pizza...
Feel free to add your own in the comments