I was reading the Saveur Forums and someone posted the question, "Guilty Pleasures? I was wondering what other people's secret and possibly scary food indulgences might be."
Intrigued, I read on... some I can relate with, others are disguising. Nearly all of them are foods they had as children. Here are some excerpts:
- "Peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwich—on super soft white bread."
- "I love to sip on the brine from a jar of capers."
- "I love sliced cucumbers that have been soaked in a vinegar salt and onion brine on open faced peanut butter sandwiches. I also love butter on slathered on saltine crackers and hot chocolate."
- "Chocolate covered coffee beans dipped in Nutella"
- "BUGLES. Cheezos (only the crunchy kind). Stinkin' Chef Boyardee pizza from a box."
- "Spaghetti-O's with meatballs (no franks, please)"
- "the hostess cupcake. You know the one with the white squiggle on it?"
- "I get a ridiculous craving for a Big Mac once a year."
- "A hostess twinkie, a small bag of cheetos (someone else said this one already) or an Entemann's honeybun (which has more fat grams than two big Macs by the way)."
- "Bread (mostly Homemade) With Horseradish Mustard With Syrup To Top"
- "noodles... Stir in some Campbell's tomato soup and top with Kraft parmesan (shaker cheese we used to call it)"
- "When I was a kid, my sister and I used to enjoy sipping capfuls of vinegar. Malt vinegar was our favorite... We did the same with A-1 steak sauce. As an adult, my guilty pleasure is definitely circus peanuts... my oddly spongy treats."
- "Guilty pleasure = Nutella off a spoon. Unusual childhood dish = Ricotta and Jelly on Toast."
- "I was raised on this sandwich. At least twice a week for 18 years! Now I have gone all "classy" and have PB and Mayo. I still love it and it is fun to gross out your friends."
- "I crave a peanutbutter sandwich with dill pickles. Or sometimes bread and butter pickles. Or once a year or so I have to have Spaghetti-O's out of the can. I cannot abide them cooked, they smell like vomit and are too squishy."
- "I have been known to take corn flakes and dip then in soft butter"
- "Guys regular potato chips (not the waffle type), crushed, then placed between two pieces of squishy, insipid, white bread, which have been slathered with plain yellow mustard."
- "Thinly sliced radishes, heavily salted, on buttered white bread."
My guilty pleasure? An avocado, peanut butter and Vegemite sandwich. Oh Lord! My wife can barely even watch me eat one - but they're so good! What are your guilty pleasures?