What a perfect summer salad. The sweetness of the watermelon, the meatiness of the tomato, the salty feta cheese and the crisp, herbaceous mint all meld together like people dancing at a reggae concert. Each bite has a different character, unique and delicious...
We stopped at a roadside produce stand and found some amazing tomatoes and an almost purple colored Imagination Watermelon, which I had never heard of before. Tomato and watermelon salads are so hot right now, we had to...
Using two types of tomatoes adds more depth, with texture and with color. The soft, juicy heirlooms balance with the snap of the bright red cherry tomatoes. A drizzle of honey and balsamic vinegar brings out the natural sweetness of the watermelon makes the whole thing pop.
The salty feta is a solid counterpoint to the sweet and sour of the fruit; the red onion chimes in with some crunch and earthiness. Mint... well, mint is just good on everything. Who doesn't like mint? Mint and a swirl of good quality olive oil rounds out the salad, makes it more hearty and scrumptious.
There is nothing to it.
- 1 large Heirloom Tomato, cut into wedges, then halved
- 1/2 cup, Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 3 ounces Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup of Watermelon, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons of Mint chiffonade
- 1 quarter of a small Red Onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 2 tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of your nicest Olive Oil
- 1 half teaspoon of Kosher Salt
On a platter, place heirloom tomato wedges and watermelon cubes. Top with the crumbled feta, onion, mint, and cherry tomatoes. Whisk the honey and balsamic together in a small bowl and pour over salad, drizzle the olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.