Mom's Brunch Sausage Casserole
1 16oz Jimmy Dean Sausage (cooked, crumbled, and drained on a paper towel)
4 cups cubed day old bread
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
10 eggs (slightly beaten)
2 12oz cans evaporated milk
1 teaspoon dry mustard (the dry seasoning)
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Place bread in the bottom of a greased cake pan.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the bread.
- Combine the next 5 ingredients in a bowl (eggs, milk, mustard, salt pepper,
and onion powder) and pour over the cheese.
- Sprinkle optional ingredients if desired (1/2 cup sliced mushrooms and ½ cup
peeled chopped tomatoes).
- Sprinkle sausage over the top.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake 55-60 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Cover with foil if it starts to brown the top.
Crème Brulee French Toast
½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoon corn syrup
1 8-9inch round loaf country-style bread (challah bread is best)
5 large eggs
1 ½ cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1teaspoon Grand Marnier
¼ teaspoon salt
- In small saucepan, melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate
heat, stirring until smooth, and pour into a 13X9X2 inch glass baking dish.
- Cut 6 1inch thick slices from the center portion of the bread (don't use
ends) trim crusts off.
- Arrange bread in one layer in baking dish squeezing them slightly to make
- In a bowl, whish together eggs, half-and-half, vanilla, Grand Marnier and
salt and pour evenly over bread.
- Chill bread, covered, at least 8 hours up to 1 day.
- Bring bread to room temperature and then bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35-40
minutes. It should be puffed and the edges are pale golden.
- Serve hot.